91.Millennials represent a larger demographic segment than the baby boomers or Gen
92. Marketers must increasingly consider the needs of traditional households because this
segment of the population is growing more rapidly than nontraditional households.
93. Recent shifts in where people live have led to shifts in where people work.
94. The American workforce today is better educated and more white-collar than it was a
95. Companies in several industries are now waking up to the needs and potential of the
gay and lesbian segment of the population.
96.Diversity in America is increasing, and successful marketers are increasingly
diversifying their marketing programs to appeal to different segments of the
97. Most household income is used up in purchasing food, housing, and transportation.
98. According to Engels laws, consumers tend to spend a larger percentage of income on
savings as income rises.
99.Significant trends in the natural environment include shortages of raw materials,
increased pollution, and decreased government intervention.
100. Environmental concerns have been on the decline in the past decade; more
government legislation and the green movement may be the cause of this trend.
101. The introduction of new technologies is beneficial to all industries, as new
markets and opportunities are created.
102. Cause-related marketing is a slowing trend as companies have abused the
practice, using it more to increase sales than to support worthwhile causes.
103. In the cultural environment, core values and beliefs and secondary values and
beliefs differ in that the former are more open to change.
Copyright © 2009 Pearson Education, Inc. Publishing as Prentice Hall 83
Part 2: Understanding the Marketplace and Consumers
104. When a company hires lobbyists to influence legislation affecting its industry, it is
taking a reactive approach to the marketing environment.
105. Who are the major players in a companys microenvironment? What roles do they
106. In a short essay, differentiate between the basic marketing intermediaries.
107. How can marketers use information about the demographic environment?
108. Explain the impact of the baby boomers, Generation X, and Millennials on todays
109. Describe the consumer segments based on income distribution in the United States.
110. What are the major trends in todays natural environment? How do these trends affect
111. Why is the technological environment such a dramatic force in todays market?
112. Describe the three main reasons that business legislation is enacted.
113. What is cause-related marketing? Give two examples of the practice and explain why
companies participate in cause-related marketing.
114.What is the cultural trend in how people view nature? How does this affect
84 Copyright © 2009 Pearson Education, Inc. Publishing as Prentice Hall
Chapter 3: Analyzing the Marketing Environment
APPLICATION CONTENT: Multiple-Choice Questions
115. LandPort Transportation and Omega Warehousing move and store the products your
company sells. The two businesses are examples of ________.
b. marketing services agencies
c. marketing intermediaries
d. physical distribution firms
e. geographic segments
116. Currently, Diego Calabresa is employed by a firm that conducts marketing research
and creates ads for other companies that help them target and promote their products
to the right markets. Who is Diegos employer?
a. a financial intermediary
b. a physical distribution firm
c. a marketing service agency
d. a reseller
e. a green marketer
117. In what way(s) might the Florida Citrus Growers rely on marketing intermediaries?
a. to provide speed in delivering products to consumers
b. to help finance operations
c. to assist with promotional efforts
d. to perform in the overall value delivery system
e. all of the above
118. If baby boomers are predictors of where product and service demand will be,
increased demands will most likely be evident in ________ in the coming years.
a. university enrollment
b. beer and wine
c. financial services
d. the apparel industry
e. the automobile industry
119. Noora Delange is helping her company develop a marketing program for a new
product line. The program involves emphasizing the environmentally and socially
responsible actions of the company. The marketing program is most likely to
designed to appeal to which of the following demographic groups?
a. Gen Xers
c. nontraditional households
d. micropolitan populations
e. blue-collar workers
120. _____ may impact product demand at McDonalds more than ________.
a. Recognizing people with disabilities; recognizing an increasing Asian market
b. Geographic shifts in population; the increasing gay and lesbian market
Copyright © 2009 Pearson Education, Inc. Publishing as Prentice Hall 85
Part 2: Understanding the Marketplace and Consumers
c. The green movement; cause-related marketing
d. Changing lifestyles; geographic shifts in population
e. An increased white-collar population; a better educated population
The aim of our service is to provide you with top-class essay help when you ask us to write my paper; we do not collect or share any of your personal data. We use the email you provide us to send you drafts, final papers, and the occasional promotion and discount code, but that’s it!Order Now